U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs to access export-controlled data and conform to ITAR regulations
Urbineer is composed of experienced, hands-on, multidisciplinary engineers with a strong background in driving complex concepts to completion. The team was formed around a passion for urban mobility, focusing on ground and aerial transportation in dense urban cities. Our agility and expertise have quickly positioned us to work alongside the major pioneers of the industry. We pride ourselves on creating high profile vehicles for the major firms while ideating and developing our own technologies.
As our portfolio grows, we are focused on building a cohesive team of motivated, versatile, and hands-on engineers that enjoy the fast pace ideation and prototyping environment to bring new technologies and platforms to market. Our company is founded and operated by engineers that continuously foster both technical and professional growth in a rewarding team environment.
A Mechanical Design Engineer will be part of developing new product platforms in our Advance Vehicle Development Group. This role will navigate complex mechanical system design and structural optimization challenges to provide robust solutions for prototype vehicle structures, both air and ground. The team will be responsible for maintaining aggressive schedules in the engineering, testing, and build portions of projects. Your engineering expertise and experience will benefit the design and be part of developing the initial concepts through the tooling required to fabricate parts and assemblies. Urbineer works on programs that involve internal team collaboration as well as working directly with customers and strategic partners.
To Be Successful
A candidate must demonstrate an aptitude for designing precision mechanical systems and optimizing performance of vehicles and structures. A knowledge of prototyping techniques, methods of manufacturing, and high strength to weight materials will be needed to take ideas from concept to deployment in next generation product platforms.
- Sub-component and assembly design as part of a team responsible for product development programs
- Mechanical/electronic component system design and engineering
- Assembly and lamination tool design for prototypes and low-rate production
- Model based definition and creating drawing package for fabrication and assembly
- Dynamic, structural, and static analysis of components and mechanical assemblies
- Build oversight and hands-on prototyping
- Developing manufacturing specifications and post-processing requirements for parts and assemblies
- Using aerospace GD&T to build high tolerance parts and complex precision assemblies
- BS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 4+ years of relevant industry experience
- Parametric 3D Surfacing and detailed design experience with SolidWorks and/or CATIA CAD, preferably within a PDM system
- Performing vehicle configuration and system engineering trades to meet mission performance
- Understanding of electromechanical systems, layout, and sizing trades
- Experienced in structural layout and working directly with stress engineers to optimize design, performance, and weight goals for aerial and/or ground vehicles
- Experience with manufacturing techniques and processes for composite hand lamination along with machining and post processing experience with titanium, aluminum, steel/CRES
- Direct hands-on experience developing prototypes, troubleshooting mechanism, and part fabrication/assembly
- Developing manufacturing instructions and tooling/fixturing for high tolerance components
- Able to perform quality part inspection to validate measurement and process conformity
- Master’s in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 7+ years of relevant industry experience
- Strong understanding of mechanism design, rotating systems, suspension layout, and kinematics
- Strong understanding of airframe layout for large manned and unmanned aircraft/rotorcraft
- Finite Element Analysis of complex mechanical assemblies using FEMAP/NASTRAN or similar tools
- Electromechanical system development and powertrain/drivetrain layout for large ground vehicles
- Hands-on experiencing with a CNC, manual mill/lathe, bandsaw, sheet metal forming, composite lamination
- Be an integral part of a team dedicated to building the next generation products and vehicles
- Opportunities to continuously learn and collaborate with our innovative and knowledgeable technical staff including industry proven engineers in aero-mechanical systems.
- Being part of an accelerated prototyping and design team where you get to work on endless projects at the forefront of technology and a vision for how these systems will get incorporated into the world