U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs to access export-controlled data and conform to ITAR regulations
Urbineer is composed of experienced, hands-on, multidisciplinary engineers with a strong background in driving complex concepts to completion. The team was formed around a passion for creating new transportation modalities, focusing on ground and aerial transportation systems. Our agility and expertise have quickly positioned us to work alongside the major pioneers of the industry. We pride ourselves in supporting the development of vehicles and systems that will usher in the next generation of capabilities.
As our portfolio grows, we are focused on building a cohesive team of motivated, versatile, and hands-on engineers that enjoy the fast pace ideation and prototyping environment to bring new technologies and platforms to market. Our company is founded and operated by engineers that continuously foster both technical and professional growth in a rewarding team environment.
As our Prototype Build Engineer, you will be responsible for CAD design, engineering planning, improving prototype design for manufacturing, and providing both part and assembly build leadership. You will collaborate with both our internal engineering team and the industry leading clients that we partner with to build advanced technologies, concepts, and vehicles. Your role throughout the development will be to ensure that components are producible and meet the intent of the final product.
- Develop product/vehicle/structure manufacturing approaches, design tooling, and provide hands-on leadership throughout a prototype build
- During the design process, participate in discussions to align the team on the proposed build process flow, testing opportunities, and design for manufacturing (DFM)
- Select fixture design components to optimize assembly and alignment functions
- Create documentation travelers used to aid in the build process, capture traceability, and conformity
- Oversee suppliers when outsourcing is required
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing, or equivalent hands-on experience
- Parametric 3D Surfacing and detailed design experience with SolidWorks and/or CATIA CAD, preferably within a PDM system
- 3+ years of experience in manufacturing process engineering for product parts/assemblies, tooling, and fixtures in a fast paced prototype environment (aerospace industry preferred)
- Experience with new product development design trade studies, CNC machining, composite parts fabrication, fixture design, adhesive bonding, and fastener drilling/installation
- Hands-on experiencing with a CNC, manual mill/lathe, bandsaw, sheet metal forming, composite lamination
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Project management and customer interface experience
- Strong understanding of mechanism design, rotating systems, suspension layout, and kinematics
- Electromechanical system development and powertrain/drivetrain layout for large ground vehicles
- Electromechanical system selection and testing
- Be an integral part of a team dedicated to building the next generation products and vehicles
- Opportunities to continuously learn and collaborate with our innovative and knowledgeable technical staff including industry proven engineers in aero-mechanical systems
- Being part of an accelerated prototyping and design team where you get to work on endless projects at the forefront of technology